In the early days, Digos was a watercourse that served as a meeting place of the inhabitants belonging to the Indonesian Malay tribes that settled along the southern foothills of Mt. Apo.
During the Spanish era, a group of natives carrying bows and arrows were approached by some Spaniards traversing the very fertile tracks of land in Davao and inquired the name of the place from the barefooted natives. Believing that the Spaniards were asking where they were bound to, the natives answered: “padigos” which means “to take a bath”. Since then, the place was identified as Digos.
Not long after the Spanish era, Digos became the home of many migrants majority of whom came from the Visayas and Ilocos Regions that settled permanently in the area.
Through the initiation of then Congressman Apolinario Cabigon, Digos became a regular municipality in 1949 by virtue of Presidential Executive Order No. 236, dated July 01, 1949 issued by President Elpidio Quirino. Before its creation into a municipality, Digos was a barrio of Sta. Cruz, a town 16 kilometers away. On July 19, 1949, the town was formally inaugurated.
For many years, Digos has been the center of trade, commerce and education owing to its strategic location at the crossroad of two provincial thoroughfares in the south. The move to convert the municipality into a city was initiated by Hon. Mayor Arsenio A. Latasa in July 1998. The move gained popular support from all sectors of the municipality. Finally, Republic Act 8798 formally declared Digos as a Component City of the province of Davao del Sur and supported by a majority vote presenting 87% of the total voters in a plebiscite held on September 8, 2000.
The City of Digos is 56 kilometers from Davao City, the regional center of economic delineation for development in Southeastern Mindanao. It is situated in the Northern portion of the province of Davao del Sur, where it also serves as the seat of the Provincial Government. It is the crossroad of the port cities of General Santos, Cotabato and Davao.
Digos City, with a total land area of 28, 710, is bounded on the West by Sinaragan Creek located 500 meters from the barangay center of Colorado, Northward by the Miral river; on the Northeast by the Kibanban Creek, from its mouth in Davao Gulf, upstream to its source, and by a straight imaginary line starting from coastline on Davao Gulf, running Westward through Kilometer Post number 64 on the Provincial Road.
Digos has a climate that is characterized by an evenly distributed rainfall throughout the year with no marked seasonality. It is not affected by tropical depression except by the northeast monsoon that normally happens between November to March. The coldest months occur from December to January while the hottest months occur from April to May.
The National Statistics Office (NSO) placed the population of Digos City at 145, 514 as of Census Year 2007.
Agriculture is a major component of Digos City economy. Some 9,330 households or 37% of the total households are dependent on agriculture for their livelihood. Of the total households dependent on agriculture, 91% are engaged in farming and the remaining 9% in fishing. The total area devoted to agriculture covered 8, 944.1 hectares, representing 31% of the total land area of Digos. The more important agricultural crops grown in the area include coconut, sugarcane, mango and banana. Among the agricultural crops, the staple crops rice and corn are the most widely grown.
Cebuano and Visayan variants, Tagalog, Hiligaynon/Ilonggo, Bagobo, Muslim, Ilokano
HOW TO GET HERE
The Davao City International Airport and the Sasa Port in Davao City serve as the nearest point of entry, an hour’s drive away from the capital City of Digos. General Santos City and Cotabato City serve as an alternative entry.
GETTING AROUND THE PLACE
The Digos City Terminal II located at Brgy. Aplaya is a modern bus terminal complex and serves as a jump off point for any traveler who may wish to go anywhere to the neighboring provinces. The means of transport around the city is the dependable tricycle with vans and multicabs plying the far-flung barangays.